Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bishkek

So, we're staying in Bishkek at the moment - it's a nice quiet city. Pretty calm but VERY dark after 9:30 or so. Not that anything has happened, but it's a little unnerving to walk home late at night (like 10:00).

Bishkek is a quiet city so there's not a whole heck of a lot to do, but if you're ever here, it's DEFINITELY recommened that you check out the State Historical Museaum. I know, boring for most but I really enjoyed myself. I've never seen so many bronze statues of idealized 1922! It's pretty funny, there are statues of Lenin everywhere, Lenin quotes on the wall, pictures of the Politburo, pictures of Lenin walking, little plaques saying that Lenin was here, busts of Lenin, ... well, I think you get the point. The only thing that made me realize that it was NOT 1922 was the paper that had an announcement about Lenin's death; so I figured that it was 1925. A friend just mentioned the Stalin museum in Gori, and well, they're definitely similar... there were no problems in the Soviet Union. Famine? What famine? Pictures to follow.

On a slightly sadder not, also in the museum is a very touching exhibit to the 'Heroes of April 7th.' For those of you not up to speed, there was a revolution here a few months ago - they toppled the corrupt president to put someone who, in my opinion, will do a good job of things. Anyways, long story short, protesters were fired upon and, as often happens when soldiers fire into crowds, people died. The exhibit is really touching and there are pictures of each person who died with their date of birth, how they died and where they are buried. It's really something to check out.

Sorry this update wasn't funny like the last one, but it's been quiet. We're off to the mountains with this Kyrgyz guy named 'Scott' (I can't remember his real name, and he goes to school in Arizona, so I don't feel that bad) and back in town tomorrow night.

And tonight - birch leaves and cold pools - we're off to the banyas!!!

3 comments:

  1. More photos please !
    Have fun in the mountains. Keep an eye on your shoes, and your hat if you have one :-)
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. The banya in 38 degree weather? Вы сошли с ума!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting tired of reading about Bishkek - give me something new !!!!!!

    Cheryl (who else?!)

    ReplyDelete